Saturday, December 24, 2011

It Begins

Today being Dec 24th I have some time to tinker, I did a bit on the KX125 project but have to wait for more parts before continuing much more with that project.  So today I pressure washed the 87 CR125 and began the tear down.  As anyone with bikes knows you tend to see a lot of little things that may be wrong with your bike when you do a thorough washing.  As expected I found a few problems but really I can't believe how well preserved this bike is.  I found that the PO had installed the rear brake caliper without hitting the slider mount on the swingarm. Not a problem nothing was ruined because of it.  Also noticed that the right side axle adjuster block is missing. Add that to the parts needed list.  Finally got enough grime off of the sprocket to see what size it is  54 tooth, can you say trail rider?

 Front number plate is a bit rough but wow really didn't see all that much wrong.  So back in the Garage the tear down starts, cleaning and inspecting in the process. I took the time to straighten the subframe at the rear fender so it will sit straight and meet the seat correctly.  Found another part to put on the need list. The air filter is disintegrating in the box.
During this phase of tear down I did discover that the shock spring was completely loose, that's pretty cool because years of tension on them can make them sag out and be under spec. now I have no idea how long it has been backed all the way off but it doesn't really matter cause I'm gonna run it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment